Sunday, February 27, 2011

If I had a million dollars....

I entered to win the HGTV dream home (who didn't!) and ever since reading through the rules and seeing that the winner could take 1 million dollars instead of the house, I can't stop obsessing about what I would do if I won. Yeah, the house is nice, Vermont is beautiful, BUT it is COOOOLD! So, yeah, I'd take the million. Anyway, I've got to stop thinking about this and I thought the best way to do that would be to get it written down so my brain could let it go and give me some peace! And so.....

What I would do if I won a million:
  1. 10% to tithing (that's okay for prize money, right? It's not like winning the lottery.)
  2. The same amount to Fast Offerings and other donations.
  3. Of course Uncle Sam would have to take his cut.
  4. Pay off the mortgage, student loans, and car loan.
  5. Adopt a 4th child.
  6. Set up trust funds for all the kids.
After that it's not so easy to decide.
Would I remodel the house or landscape my 1/3 acre yard? or move closer to family? I'd probably invest the rest and wait to see if dh gets tenure first.

In the meantime, I'd get some "incidentals":
  • a stand mixer, black, 'ice', or 'persimmon'.
  • a wheat grinder
  • a fridge with the freezer on the bottom and french doors
  • a freezer of death
Oh, and I'd trade the SUV for a more fuel efficient commuter car. And/or a really cool bike for my bike commuting husband.

This really is an exercise in ridiculousness. Hopefully this will get it out of my head! I really am grateful for what I have. I have been blessed so much and it probably wouldn't be good for me to get everything I wanted!! So there it is.

What would you do if you won a million dollars?

1 comment:

Haiku Amy said...

Pretty sure I would travel the world.