Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Wizards, Lions, and Rabbits, oh my!

I'm nearly done reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire in preparation to actually watching the movie, sometime, if we can find a sitter and a free weekend! I'd say rereading, but since I've only listened to my husband read it aloud while I crocheted, this is the first time I've read it myself! I actually wasn't looking forward to reading it; the books are rather an easy read so I figured since I already knew the story it wouldn't be very exciting. It definitely wasn't as exciting as the first time, but still exciting enough to keep me reading all day, and neglecting my work! But such is my penchant when reading!

In addition to HP, another movie that I will be seeing in the theaters (and there aren't that many I will see since movie tickets here cost upwards of $10!) is The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Apparently, CS Lewis would not have approved of the movie. The source they cite is this posting of a letter apparently from CS Lewis re the radio version of his books. There is no way to authenticate that this letter actually exists from these sites, but for the sake of argument, I'll say it's authentic. He was against a live action version because an 'anthropomorphic' Aslan would be 'buffoonery' (as can readily be seen in the BBC version!) but he was not opposed to a cartoon, except that he didn't agree with all of Disney's practices. Since computer generated graphics are just (very) glorified cartoons, I don't think he would be too disapointed in the portrayal of Aslan in this newest film, though I do think he would still be wary of Disney producing it! I also don't think he would be displeased with the live actors portraying the other human characters, but I'll wait and see how well the storyline is preserved before venturing an opinion on whether CS Lewis would approve of this version.

One final movie I would like to see in the theater (but we'll see if I really want to pony up the money for it!) is Wallace and Gromit's Curse of the Were-Rabbit. It seems to go right along with my own feelings towards rabbits, considering they continually destroy my own garden!

Off to see the wizard... Harry Potter..... sometime...
Alberta

No comments: